Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Zen Master


Good day today. Worked out early this morning. Attended class sessions where we discussed the results of our Canfield Learning Styles Inventory...I'm an Independent/Conceptual learner (I like to work on my own-at least initially-and I like structure to my learning environment).


Spent some time with my Special Interest Group; we're investigating how to bridge the gap between the highest level developmental writing courses and entry-level transfer courses (i.e. EN 101). Some interesting questions arose: "What are the basic competencies that EN 101 teachers expect EN 50A students to have when starting EN 101? Are these the same expectations they have of students who enter their classes via a passing Accuplacer score?" Hmmm.


I visited with my practicum advisor, Dr. Rob Sanders. I'm trying to shape my practicum prospectus. Looks like mine will be more research-based than practice-based for the time being; I'll be researching effective exit exam processes and hopefully be able to make some recommendations to our department in a year's time. I'll get into that more in the future.


Oh, and I went to yoga tonight for the first time in many, many years. It was great!


I miss my wife and kids, but I'll be smarter and in the best shape of my life when I return.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment